We Teach Red Cross
In the United States, no training agency is more highly respected than the American Red Cross. The American Red Cross has exceptional course outlines, materials, and programs for first aid/CPR, lifeguard training, and water safety. Water Safety Guy is a proud Licensed Training Provider of the American Red Cross courses and programs on this page.
First Aid/CPR Courses
All Red Cross First Aid and CPR courses are now valid for 2 years.
- First Aid/CPR/AED for Lay Responders – A class consists of any one or more of these components: Adult CPR, Child CPR, Infant CPR, AED Training, First Aid.
- CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Workers – Adult, Child, Infant CPR and AED training at a professional level (including use of resuscitation masks, bag-valve masks, two-rescuer CPR for adult/child and infant patients). All components are mandatory.
- Emergency Medical Response – This is the new basic-level EMT course.
- Oxygen Administration – This course can be taught as a stand-alone course or with CPR or Lifeguarding.
Lifeguarding courses are now valid for 2 years, except for Waterfront Skills and Waterpark Skills, which have no validity unless accompanied by a valid Red Cross Lifeguarding certificate. (Click to see current Lifeguarding courses scheduled in So Cal by Water Safety Guy.)
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED – This course is now a single unit made up of the four components in the course title. When Lifeguarding is taught, none of the components can be eliminated. Both full course and recertification options are available in blended-learning and all-classroom formats.
- Shallow Water Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED – This is a Lifeguarding course for pools 5 feet deep or less. As with Lifeguarding, both full course and recertification options are available in blended-learning and all-classroom formats.
- Waterfront Skills – The certificate from this course is only valid with a current Red Cross Lifeguarding certificate.
- Waterpark Skills – The certificate from this course is only valid with a current Red Cross Lifeguarding certificate.
Water Safety Courses
Many Red Cross water safety courses are required for adoptive/foster parents, day care workers, preschool teachers, camp counselors, physical education teachers, swimming coaches, aquatic therapists, public safety personnel, and others in California, Florida, Georgia, and many other states.
- Water Safety Today – This 2-hour presentation gives a comprehensive water orientation for parents, adoptive/foster parents, caregivers/guardians, day care workers, etc.
- Basic Water Rescue – This 4-hour course gives water safety information and water rescue procedures for nonlifeguards. While this course requires some practice in the water, it does not require swimming ability. This course is great for public safety personnel, PE teachers, aquatic therapists, etc.
- Safety Training for Swim Coaches - A 6-hour blended learning course for USA- and YMCA-affiliated swimming coaches.
We can take you through the Red Cross instructor process in the following areas. For most instructor courses, you usually must hold a current certification in the corresponding basic-level course (or, in some cases, be able to show skills equal to the basic-level certification).
- First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor
- CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Workers Instructor
- Lifeguarding Instructor (LGI)
- Safety Training for Swim Coaches Instructor
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)