Although the filtration system keeps the water clean of solid waste, proper pool chemistry is required to make the water sanitary and suitable to swim in.
Proper pool chemistry consists of maintaining effective disinfecting, oxidizing, and stabilizing agents in pool water. This can be a “delicate” process, sometimes referred to as chemical balance.
Even when automated systems control pool chemistry, these systems must be double-checked and managed. This means understanding the particular equipment at your facility as well as the basic chemistry of swimming pools (as described in the links that follow).
- Adjustment to pool chemicals calculator (HTH)
- Basic pool chemistry (The Pool Calculator)
- Easy pool chemistry (Pool Solutions)
- The pool calculator
- Purchasing pool chemicals at the grocery store (Pool Solutions)
- Water chemistry for swimming pools (Flasolar)
- Water chemistry - The fifth key to good pool care (Ronald Parrs)
A disinfectant is added to swimming pool water to kill algae and water-borne pathogens, including infectious bacteria, protozoa, and viruses.
- Acute illness/injury caused by pool chemicals (CDC)
- Conditions for water disinfection (LennTech)
- Disinfectants linked to cancer (Telegraph)
- Other disinfectants
- Oxidation-Reduction Potential (ORP)
- pH levels
- Water chemistry miscellaneous readings